Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Deuce is Loose.

Who am I? You sure you want to know? The story of my life is not for the faint of heart. If somebody said it was a happy little tale... if somebody told you I was just your average ordinary guy, not a care in the world... somebody lied.

I was born in Delaware to immigrant Filipino parents (in the same hospital as the hottest babysitter ever. Sadly, it's now a parking lot). Contrary to popular belief, Delaware is not a cultural or social center, so I spent a lot of time in front of the television. Fortunately, my formative years coincided with the pinnacle of human development, so I absorbed near fatal amounts of television radiation and pop culture empowering me with superhuman amounts of useless knowledge and skills (converting any Transformer without directions and finishing Contra with only 3 lives).

I cruised though school relying mostly on my charm and boyish good-looks. I'll just out myself now as a preppy private schooler (Yes, I had several white hats. No, I never owned any pastel clothing). I weaseled my way into an academically rigorous, socially-conscious, and socially-awkward liberal arts college that despite popular belief is not an all-girls school (even that school has been co-ed since '71). I got my academic ass kicked in college, thus putting the smackdown on my career aspirations. After graduation, I packed up and moved to the Great White North with my college girlfriend to figure out what the hell I wanted to do with my life.

On my visits to Boston, I always felt like it would be a great place to live. Over the last 8 years, that feeling has never wavered. Even after the college girlfriend and I broke up after our first six months living together, I stayed. I friggin love this city. Maybe it's because I have never had to spend more than a half-hour commuting OR that I live next to America's Most Beloved Ballpark OR that I never run out of new places to eat OR that I have never had trouble finding friends OR that I met the person I'm probably going to marry here. A lot of personal growth has happened in Boston, so it will always have a special place in my heart. I love this town and yes, I am a pre-2004 Red Sox fan and an avid Yankee Hater. Now, I will always be l a die-hard Philadelphia Eagles fan though, and one of my all-time favorite players is a former Eagle and is the origin of my screenname (along with this and this).

Mutation: it is the key to our evolution. It has enabled us to evolve from a single-celled organism into the dominant species on the planet. This process is slow and normally takes thousands of years. But every few millennia, evolution leaps forward.


Out of college, I got a job as a case manager at a homeless shelter. But after three years there, I needed a change. Since I'm apparently a masochist, I went back to school and got two masters degrees. Since I'm also apparently hell bent on being poor the rest of my life, I'm currently a full-time social worker.

It's really amazing how much more free time I have now that I'm not in school anymore. Now I fill my time playing video games, watching movies and television, reading comic books, wasting company time on YouTube, and hanging out with aforementioned future life partner. I anticipate my blog entries will be mostly filled with random commentary and poorly informed observation about these subjects, though occasionally a nugget of truth may fall out. I'm basically nerd-core, and if you took away the girlfriend, I'd be the biggest. loser. ever.

This is my gift. This is my curse. Who am I?

I'm DoubleDeuce.

No comments: