Friday, May 16, 2008

I'm Still Here

I’m Deuce McClure. You may remember me from posts such as “The Post No One Will Read,” “Feelin Randy,” and “The Dreaded VD.” I know it’s been a while. A big part of the problem is that work has been keeping me very busy, so I don’t have the copious amounts of spare time to write entries at work like I usually do. It’s a shame I haven’t posted because it’s these busy times in my life that I really wish I documented my experiences. The seldom quiet moments are filled with insightful thought but are rarely in front of a computer. The non-work hours are spent joyously catering to Ans’ every whim or playing MarioKart Wii.

In the past month, a lot has been going on in my professional life. Being a social worker in a big hospital is like kayaking on a river sometimes. There are spots where you’re drifting along and there are spots where it’s class 5 rapids. It ebbs and flows. When it’s quiet, I have time to blog. When it’s busy, I actually have to think, “Do I want to eat or piss right now, ‘cause I got time for one of ‘em.” On top of my normal workload, I’ve been trying to run a group which has been a challenge. Sometimes I feel like this work is like paddling upstream. It’s a struggle and in the end it seems like utter futility. For example, with this group, if it’s not one thing, it’s another. No one can come, transportation fails, can’t contact people. It’s frustrating and it’s weekly. Mondays and Tuesdays I do outreach, trying to talk up the group. Every Wednesday, I spend most of my 10 hour day prepping and coordinating. Every Wednesday hardly anyone shows. It’s like running a race then getting kicked in the nuts. After you lose. Weekly.

In the past month, I’ve also reached a personal milestone. I turned 30. Thirty isn’t so bad, partially because I’ve been prepping for 2 years now. After turning 28, I just started telling people I was thirty. I don’t know why, but it’s worked. For my 30th, Ans organized a surprise party for me. Usually, my spider-sense is pretty good about surprises, but she got me. The party was in my own house, mind you, which made it all the more impressive. Ans is really the bright shining light in my life right now. She’s pretty much everything I ever asked for and a bit more. I love her so much, I want to make more of her.

I’m hoping things slow down soon cause I’m gonna pop. There probably won’t be another post from me until June at the rate I’m going. I think I put my word quota in with my Resident Evil post anyway.

No comments: